Monday, August 20, 2007

Aug. 20, 2007 - In the News...

Since starting this blog and scouting through the news feeds for interesting information about bbq and hot sauce, a couple of things have become blatantly obvious. First, if your organization wants to raise money, host a charity barbecue. Second, if you're a politician looking for votes, show up at a charity barbecue.

Here are this week's finds:

The Chef From Hell - I'm window shopping in the blogosphere trying to find a homemade hot sauce recipe to share with the Barbecue Bachelor, when I discover The Chef From Hell's recipe blog. He's got a post about his Hell Sauce. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but was just too good to pass up. The inclusion of the coffee was what hooked me. Hell Chef's real name is J.P. Gelinas and he's the real deal. A New Englander by birth who's been all over the place and now is a restaurateur in New York.

Majik Zombi's Barbecue Voodoo - This was a site I first came across early last week. Run by an Oregonian who's a self-described "practitioner of Barbecue Voodoo... An alchemist's list of recipes. A shaman with seasoning. The sorcerer of sauces. It's the voodoo that I do when I barbecue." Probably should have pointed to it earlier, but a recent recipe posting for his Voodoo Chili, complete with a little Jim Beam, made me realize my responsibility to share it with you.

And now, the news...

If you eat barbecue that comes out of a can, you probably deserve this. Castleberry's, a food processor in Georgia, has issued a product recall on several of its products, including canned pork in barbecue sauce and hot dog chili sauce. Seems traces of botulism have showed up in some of the cans.

Is there anything hot sauce can't do? Here's a post from a blog called First Impressions that talks about using hot sauce or peppers for organic pest control.

Unusual recipe of the week: Bar-B-Q'd Armadillo. This comes courtesy of the Backwoods Bound site. I lived in Texas for five years and never saw a live armadillo. But I must have seen thousands of dead ones. Texans like to place bottles of Lone Star Beer next to the road-kill 'dillos. Never figured out why. If you know, leave a comment.

7 comments:

SilberBook-Blog said...

Hunger pains and the need to have ribs each time I click to you. Truth is: tho I love BBQ, hot sauces scare me and my intestines tremble at the thought of these things you mention!

Love the doddle of you - you're looking good!

alan

sullicom said...

Thanks, man, but that's no doodle. That's what hot sauce does to you after all the years.

barbeque-bachelor said...

Barbecue in a can?

barbeque-bachelor said...

Hey, I believe you are not too far from Nashville correct? If so, you really need to check out Prince's. They basically serve spicy fried chicken. I've never come across anything like it before. They were even featured on the food network. Just be aware that the restaurant is not in the best part of town and it may take over an hour to get your food. Well worth it though.

sullicom said...

Actually, Nashville's a bit of a drive these days. Kentucky was my home turf growing up and I still get back from time to time. After stops in Ohio, Chicago and Texas, I now live in the land of crabcakes and pit beef. I have connections in Music City, though, and I'll ask them for the scoop on Prince's. Sounds like good stuff. Also, while I'm at it, I misspelled Cholula's in an earlier note back to you. Good stuff and the best looking label you've ever seen. I'll post on the sauce soon.

barbeque-bachelor said...

Oops just read your profile. Baltimore? I understand the crab-cakes but I am confused by the pit beef reference. I dont think I have ever heard the term pit beef before. Sounds like something I need to look in to.

sullicom said...

Pit beef (turkey, ham) is pretty much the smoked meat without the bbq sauce. Good stuff that seems relegated to sales from little roadside stands around here. I'm sure one of my BBTuesday posts upcoming will take it on.