Tuesday, August 14, 2007

BBTuesday - BBQ Pit


We had a bbq pit in our backyard when I was growing up. That's not ours above, but ours was similar to it. The pit above was built by the guy who runs the pigsmoke.com site.

My dad built our pit. One side was a fireplace, where he'd burn hickory to make the coals. Above the flames was a metal shelf where he'd heat up the sauce.

The other side of the pit was the grill. I seem to recall that it was about 4'x6', with trays of red hot hickory coals smoking slabs of ribs and whole chickens.

I was only five when daddy died. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve him standing over the grill, mopping sauce over the meat. I still remember seeing little beads of sweat hanging off his nose as he cooked.

We moved out of the house when I was 16. A few years ago, whoever was living in the house tore down the pit and put up a storage shed. A shed isn't exactly the sort of thing that inspires special memories.

Building a pit requires some effort, but for those who are interested, here's a link to some instructions by Murray Anderson on the doityourself.com site.

No comments: