Tuesday, August 21, 2007

BBTuesday - Kentucky Dip


I thought I'd share the secret family recipe for the bbq dip that my dad made to use when he hovered over his bbq pit when I was a kid. It's high-powered stuff that can be liberally mopped over ribs, brisket, mutton, chicken and anything else that might find its way onto your grill. It also works for removing tar stains from cars and killing termites.

Here goes:

Kentucky BBQ Dip

1 quart distilled white vinegar
2 10-ounce cans of tomato puree
1 5-ounce bottle of Worcestershire sauce (preferably Lea & Perrins)
1 stick butter
1/8 cup salt
2 Tbl black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 Tbl allspice
1 Tbl paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 lemons (juice squeezed into dip - toss the rinds in while it's cooking)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add enough vinegar to form a paste. Then add the rest of the vinegar, the Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree. Heat and add the butter and lemon rinds. DO NOT BOIL!!! Don't know why not, but I listened to my daddy. Mix well and let cook for an hour.

This stuff will last a good while in the refrigerator. It's also good for mixing with pulled pork or chicken.

Debate teaser #1: I've always had a preference for this dip kind of bbq sauce as opposed to the ketchupy or mustard sauces. I supposed it's a regional bias. I don't dislike the others, though. However, in my Web travels, I've started to notice strong feelings out there that sometimes run high in favor of one type of sauce over another and what appears to be outright disgust toward others. If you like one type over another, leave a comment and let me know why. Or if you can't stand a particular type, that might even be more fun to hear. We'll keep the debate rolling every Tuesday as long as we have input from you.

2 comments:

barbeque-bachelor said...

Now we're talking! That is the type of stuff I am looking for. I'm looking forward to trying ASAP. I wasn't planning on doing ribs again so soon but perhaps this warrants me changing my menu. I'll let you know what I think of your sauce. Thanks for sharing the family secret!
As for your debate, for ribs or chicken, I like a fairly thin ketchup based sauce that is both sweet and tangy. If it is too thick of a sauce it is difficult to baste the meat with it and can potentially burn. I find thick sauces are fine as finishing sauces but the thinner ones are better to cook with. The only time that I make a mustard based sauce is when I am grilling fish. Ketchup based sauces seem to ruin the flavor of fish for me.

queens said...

I like a fairly thin ketchup based sauce that is both sweet and tangy.