Sunday, August 12, 2007

Food for the Soul, Aug. 12, 2007

I grew up in Madisonville, Kentucky, a town in the western part of the state that's 45 miles due south of Evansville, Indiana and 100 miles north of Nashville, Tennessee. I heard a lot of country music growing up and absolutely hated it when I was a kid. But I moved away during my teens and over the years have nurtured fond memories of both the town and the sounds associated with it.

Just down the street from where I lived was a church where the Happy Goodman Family ran their ministry. The Goodmans were then and still are a well-known gospel group. I never went to their church but still run across their music, like this clip on YouTube.com.



When I was growing up there, Madisonville had an economy built on coal mining and tobacco farming, two industries that aren't exactly booming these days. Today, there's a respected regional medical center there that has attracted many talented health professionals to the town, including, ironically, a very good friend I went to college with in Ohio. I still have lots of childhood friends who live there. I don't get back nearly as often as I'd like to, but I did discover another YouTube video that someone had shot while driving up Main Street in Madisonville.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as your friend from college who lives in your hometown, i couldn't have chosen better. makes me the luckiest guy on earth. love your blog steve. mkr

sullicom said...

Thanks for the comment. It really is "The Best Town on Earth," isn't it.