Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mailbag, Aug. 18, 2007


After just one week of blogging, I've had three comments either posted or e-mailed to me, which is three more than I thought I'd have at this stage. This has been a classic soft launch, and I've only announced the blog's existence to a select few friends and other bloggers whose sites I've discovered and liked.

Thanks to BBQ Bachelor, fellow blogger mentioned in Friday's Spotlight. He was kind enough to post a supportive comment and give me a shout out on his blog.

Also checking in was MKR, my good friend to whom I referred in one of the first posts.

And my big brother came to take a look. He was complimentary, but asked a legitimate question: "Why do people read those things?"

If you're reading this, you probably know the answer to that, whether you realize it or not. We read these things because we have an interest in the subject covered by the blog, or in the person doing the blogging. It's about community building, the sharing of like interests and in creating a dialog with like-minded individuals. Or even engaging in civil discussions with people who may think a little differently than we do.

So, if you like bbq, hot sauce, great tunes and other good stuff, come on in and see what I have to share and tell me what you know in return. If for some reason you land on the blog and you don't like what we're about, let me know why. It's all about listening and learning and maybe we can all be a little smarter as a result.

5 comments:

confessing7girl said...

hii just stumbled into ur blog and i see u r new and i couldnt resist to make a comment! well just wishing u good luck with this blogging experience!

barbeque-bachelor said...

I think you nailed it right on the head. Blogging, as far as I am see it, is about expressing ideas about something that you are passionate about. Its a journal that you can share with the world. And frankly, my bbq is so good, it would be irresponsible for me not to share it with the world;)

barbeque-bachelor said...

...one more thing. You've mentioned that you appreciate hot sauces. Do you have any homeade recipes you could send my way? Or do you normally use store bought sauces?

sullicom said...

For no other reason that sheer laziness I tend to pull hot sauces off the shelf rather than make them myself. However, I do like to try the small-batch sauces for a little adventure. Right now I've got bottles of Ace Bandito's Habanero Hot Sauce and Whiskey Island's Pirate Gris Gris (a nice, chunky green) in the fridge. We've also got the old stand bys - Tabasco, Frank's and Chalula. I've got my eye out for good recipes, though. Remember, I've only been at this a week. But I promise to shoot you a note when I find a decent recipe.

barbeque-bachelor said...

I'm a big fan of Franks but I must say that I usually pass on the Tobasco. To me, its all heat and little flavor. I dont think I've ever heard of Chalula so I'll keep an eye out for it and try to pick up a bottle.
Though I do use my fair share of store bought sauces I like to mix things up a bit and make my own from time to time. It may sound weird but I like the inconsistencies that occur when making it yourself. I never really know exactly how it will turn out. The other day I made a Thai red pepper chili sauce containing some fish oil. It ended up being fantastic. I'll post the recipe at some point...once I remember what I put in it.