Tuesday, September 11, 2007

BBTuesday - Sauce Off


A couple of weeks ago I announced the results of my first mini poll about bbq sauce. Tomato sauce edged out vinegar and mustard at the 11th hour as the peoples' favorite.

Now I'd like to take a bit more of a scientific approach to answering the question of which sauce is best, and I need your help. I'm looking for the best recipes out there for each type of sauce. If you have a special sauce of your own, let me know. Or if you have a link to a good one somewhere on the Web, let me know. You can drop the recipe or link on a comment or e-mail it to sullicom@gmail.com. I'll share them with you on Tuesdays throughout the rest of September and the first three weeks of October. I'll also report back to you as we experiment with the recipes and I invite you to try them out, too, and add your own reviews. On Tuesday, October 30, I'll announce the winner of the first annual Sullicom Sauce Off. The prize (if any) has yet to be determined.

I'll seed the contest with the first submission, my old family recipe (yes, nepotism is allowed) for Kentucky BBQ Dip, the vinegar sauce my momma used to mix with my formula. So, now the competition is officially on - send me your sauces!

Musical Interlude

Few foods have inspired songwriters to pick up pen in greasy hand like bbq. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of songs about my favorite food that I was able to find on YouTube. I'd like to share one that provided a real "aha!" moment when I watched it. It's a rockabilly number called "Barbecue Blues," performed in a bar by a German band called Rockin' Rhonda and the Rhonkeys. Rhonda's got this sort of cat thing going on with her outfit and face makeup which almost scared me away at first, but the video turned out to be well worth the 2:41 it took to watch.



Enjoy!

No comments: