Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Doug Kershaw and Cajun Hot Sauce



When I was a teen in the early '70s, I spent a lot of time listening to the same popular music most of my friends listened to. But thanks to my big brother Dave, my tastes extended beyond the typical top-40 radio tripe. He exposed me to some well-off-the-beaten-path stuff, and among the albums I was wearing out was Doug Kershaw's "Spanish Moss". Kershaw, aka "The Ragin' Cajun", was my introduction to the music of the bayou.

Dave and his wife, Jan, had seen Kershaw perform live and were hooked. My first reaction upon hearing about Kershaw was that he was a country singer, and at that time I had absolutely no interest in country music. But then I listened to him. This was not country. It was flaming fiddles, syncopation and wild whooping unlike anything I'd heard before.

Kershaw often performed with his brother Rusty, and on occasion, his Mama Rita joined in. My favorite song on "Spanish Moss" had Rita sharing vocals on "Mama Rita in Hollywood." It was a rocking jam sung in Cajun patois with fiddle, squeeze box, grunting, screaming and shouting. It was the coolest thing I'd ever heard to that point!

Now and then Kershaw would pop up on television, and seeing him was even more fun than just listening to him. He wore red or purple velvet suits with ruffled shirts. When he sawed his fiddle he was swivel hipped and rubber legged, always in motion.

There are a handful of YouTube clips showing Kershaw in action, some from the early '70s, but most from recent years, like the one above. He's toned down the look, but he's still got the moves. It's good to see that he's still around.

Treat yourself to the Kershaw clip above. And here's a little lagniappe, a recipe from the SweatnSpice Website.

Cajun Hot Sauce

20 Large Fresh tabasco chiles (Stems and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise)
2 Cloves Garlic, cut in half
1/2 Cup Vinegar
Salt to taste


-Place the chiles, cut side down, on a broiler rack.
-Broil for about 5 minutes or until the skin blisters and blackens.
-Transfer the peppers to a paper bag and let stand for about 10 minutes.
-Peel when cool.
-Place the chiles and garlic in a blender or food processor.
-With the machine running, slowly add the vinegar until the mixture is well blended.
- Add salt to taste.
- Keep covered and refrigerated until use.


Yield: 1/2 cup

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Barbecue Bachelor said...

Another awesome sounding sauce! Unfortunately, I've been on the road for a while and havent had the chance to try any of your recipes. I'll give 'em a shot as soon as I can.