Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Fun, Sept. 21, 2007 - Moon Pie


Take a little cardboard, some foam insulation, cover it with chocolate and what do you have? Something pretty close to a Moon Pie.

I'm a GooGoo Cluster man myself, but have eaten my fair share of Moon Pies - both chocolate and banana. I always found the flavor much less satisfying than I had hoped, but there's something about them that just oozes fun.

Maybe it's the name - Moon Pie. Say it three times, slowly. It's like jumping jacks for your mouth. Your lips pooch way out for the "Moon" part. There's a satisfying "P" to pop as you go into the word "Pie," which stretches the corners of your mouth to the limit. Ah, doesn't that feel good?

The treat has even been immortalized in song, most notably Vic McAlpin's "RC Cola and a Moon Pie," covered by NRBQ, Big Bill Lister (heard here off a link from an NPR story about Moon Pies) and by bluesman Nelsen Adelard, seen below in a performance at B.B. King's Blues Club in Hollywood.



If you've worked up an appetite for a Moon Pie but can't find them around you, here's a recipe for a homemade version off the allrecipes.com site.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Chef JP said...

Moon Pies! Ahhhhhhhhh! This takes me way back to when I was a kid living in New Orleans--a classic Southern treat! chefjp

Michael said...

Not sure it's just a Southern thing. My fiancee's family, longtime Down Easters, has won blue ribbons at the fair (God knows which one?) for Moon Pies for years. Wonder if there's a regional difference in preparing them, though?

Michael said...

Correction: A quick search of the internets reveals that what my future Mainer relatives concoct are actually whoopie pies. They just call them Moon Pies, too.

SilberBook-Blog said...

I love your description of the moon pie - I not only insulated my attic with them but my adolescent gut was made of those things.

I'm trying to remember the brand name of the ones I grew up gorging on in Worcester MA....have to get back to you on that one.

Oddly - now I'm craving a donut - go figure

ps: thanks for the link!!

sullicom said...

Similar treats have different names in different parts of the universe. I've heard them called "marshmallow pies" (clever), scooter pies, wagon wheels (in Canada), etc. Surprised some enterprising attorney hasn't seized on this issue.