Thursday, September 20, 2007

There Stands Webb Pierce


Grab a glass of your favorite brew. Today I'll introduce you to, or reacquaint you with, one of the all-time great drinking songs.

I can't remember which song it was that steered me to Webb Pierce a couple of years ago, but I remember going to Amazon to listen to what else he'd done and was knocked over by the fact that it just kept getting better and better with each one I listened to.



This clip features Webb singing one heckuva drinking song, "There Stands the Glass." The storyline involves a man struggling with his problems, succumbing to one to drown out the others. One of the things I most like about this song is his delivery of the words, "There stands...". It's kind of elastic and squeaky, reminding me of a spring on a screen door that's being opened and shut.

If you saw the movie or heard the soundtrack from "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?", you'll recognize the song in the clip below. "In the Jailhouse Now" is an old Jimmie Rodgers number. In this particular clip, Webb is joined by Red Sovine and one of the Wilburn Brothers.




Enjoy (responsibly)!

2 comments:

Barbecue Bachelor said...

Speaking of the Grand Ole Opry, I tried to get tickets Tuesday night but it was sold out. I'm not a huge country music fan but definitely wanted to check out the Opry and was disappointed I didnt get in. I should have some more business down in Nashville soon so hopefully I can swing it.

sullicom said...

Yeah, the Opry is a must see, for the spectacle if not the music. Better luck next time.