Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Joe Perry's Boneyard Brew

Last week I started the discussion of celebrity hot sauces and whether or not they were genuine or gimmicks. I scrounged up a few dollars and decided to find out.

The first celeb sauce to arrive was Aerosmith Guitarist Joe Perry's Boneyard Brew. The Brew is one of two sauces (along with Mango Peach Tango) sold through "Joe Perry's Rock Your World" company.

I tend to be skeptical about stuff that needs the help of a celebrity endorsement to sell. But this Boneyard Brew was a very nice surprise, starting with the chuckle it generated when I discovered it's bottled in a hip flask. Those crazy rock n' rollers!

But the sauce itself was considerably better than I had anticipated, too. It has a smoky, slightly sweet flavor with a satisfying amount of kick - not too much, not too little. Goldilocks would certainly approve.

The ingredients are all natural. There are red bell peppers, onion and lime to present the sweet taste; Chipotle peppers for the smoke; and Habaneros for the kick. I was impressed that Joe, or his appointed sauce master, had resisted the urge to add sugar to the brew, which makes it safe for anyone out there watching their carbs.

The only gripe I have is that the bottle is too small - only 3.75 ounces. What sort of flask is that for a hard core rocker?

But Boneyard Brew earns a definite recommendation from this blogger. I'm not a big mango sauce fan, but based on this one, I'm inclined to try Joe's other sauce down the road.

The other celeb sauces mentioned last week were the trio made by comedian/actor Cheech Marin. Those arrived in yesterday's mail and I'll report on them in next Wednesday's post.

I did try to find out whether or not former Yankees' pitcher Ron Guidry makes a hot sauce. Chef JP commented last week that he thought Guidry, who was nicknamed "Louisiana Lightning", made and marketed a sauce by the same name. When I Googled "Ron Guidry hot sauce", ironically the first result was JP's comment on my blog. Kind of cool, but not very helpful in answering the question. There is a sauce called "Louisiana Lightning Strike", made by a company called Cajun Power. I wrote to Cajun Power asking if Guidry had any connection to them, or if they knew whether he had ties to any other sauce companies. I'll let you know what they say.

4 comments:

sullicom said...

And the answer is... Ron Guidry is not associated with Cajun Power's Louisiana Lightning Strike hot sauce. So says Coby Thomas from CP. Maybe a query to the Gator himself can clear this up.

b@caffeineweb.com said...

thought you'd like to know the ron guidry louisiana lightning hot sauce does/did exist. my friend still has an unopened bottle he bought in '83 or '84.

b@caffeineweb.com said...

thought you'd like to know the ron guidry louisiana lightning hot sauce does/did exist. my friend still has an unopened bottle he bought in '83 or '84.

Anonymous said...

To see a bottle of Ron Guidry's Hot Sauce go to this link.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1140706294.html