Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kim's Award-Winning Recipe


A couple of weeks ago my friend Elizabeth Large, who does the Dining@Large blog for The Baltimore Sun, copied me on some sort of e-mail chain to see how many recipes it would generate. The deal was you send a recipe of your choice - preferably a favorite you could recite off the top of your head - to the person who's name was first on the list. Then you move the second name to the top, add your name and send the original e-mail to 20 more people. If the math worked out, I think you could get as many as a billion recipes (I'm a writer, not a mathematician, okay).

I decided to play along and here are a few of the things I discovered by doing so. First, sending chain e-mails to friends is a good way to make them your ex-friends. Second, some people make some pretty nasty things to eat. Third, a handful of people are surprisingly talented when it comes to cooking.

I was most surprised by our friend Kim, who is one of the dearest people we met when we lived in Texas back in the '90s. I knew she had a creative streak in her, but I didn't realize that it carried over into the kitchen.

Kim submitted a recipe that was chosen among the top 10 out of 20,000 entries in a Better Homes & Gardens contest and was published in the magazine. I was very impressed and especially delighted that she chose to share it with me. And now, I'm going to share it with you.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 pkgs. Philly Cream Cheese (8oz.) each.
1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 pkg. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

1 cup melted butter

1/2 cup cinnamon and sugar (mixed together)


Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.
In a 9x13 glass pan, spread 1 package of crescent rolls. Spread cream cheese mixture on top evenly. Spread second package of crescent rolls on top of mixture. Pour melted butter on top and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar on top.

Bake in 350 preheated oven for 35-40 min.

You can eat warm or cold.

Sounds great! Thanks, Kim!

No comments: