Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mailbag, Oct. 27, 2007


So, the World Series has (finally) started and none of our teams are in it. Neither, it appears, are the Colorado Rockies. Maybe they'll show up tonight in Coors Field. I hope they win at least one of the next two games. There are few things sadder than the baseball season coming to an end on a Sunday night.

Even as the series winds its way to a close, there are big baseball questions still unanswered. Who will replace Joe Torre? Will A-Rod be a Yankee next year? Is there a difference between Stadium Mustard and Ball Park Mustard?

I can't help you with the first two, but we should soon have the definitive answer on the third. As mentioned last Saturday, Rich the Killer Cameraman sent us a bottle of Ball Park Mustard. This weekend, my colleague Ron is in Cleveland, where he promises to pick up a bottle (or two, or three, or...) of Stadium Mustard. We've scheduled a side-by-side taste test and will report on it sometime this week. Stay tuned...

Speaking of Rich the Killer Cameraman, he wrote with a clarification to Monday's post about Dreamland Bar-B-Que. He says that while the satellite locations offer various side dishes, the original location in Tuscaloosa still only offers slices of Sunbeam bread and banana pudding.

Take My Word For It

Here are a few favorite posts this week from my Good Friends and Cool Places links.

Sweet Loretta's Ragtime Pie (The Chef From Hell)

Spicy Sweet Soy Sauce Marinated Chicken
(Jason's BBQ Adventures)

Fact: Beer, Elephants and Electricity Do Not Mix (A Good Beer Blog)

Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

peteej said...

Sulli, many thanks for the blogroll linkage! I thought you were on mine, but I somehow forgot. You're on there now.

As for Dreamland, that is hands-down one of the best BBQ experiences I have ever had. Long story short: About 10 years ago, college football game, hungry, Dreamland. It was packed with a line of about 50 people waiting to get in. We placed a take out order and scarfed down two racks and a loaf of Sunbeam bread. I have never in my life seen such ravenous eating. I don't which was better, the ribs or the sauce-soaked bread.

The Tuscaloosa location is where it's at. They literally mop the sauce on the ribs. With a mop. For real. I can go on with this story for days...