Friday, November 02, 2007

Friday Fun - The Session

Beer & Music

This round's on me. Although I'm not a full-time beer blogger, I do write about it from time to time, and I do drink it more than occasionally. On the first Friday of each month, true beer bloggers engage in what is known as "The Session," in which the brethren all weigh in on a common topic. This month's theme - Beer & Music. Tomme Arthur of TheLost Abbey blog is the session host this month, so stop by and see what he's culled from all the blogs.

It isn't exactly like looking for a needle in a haystack to find references to beer and drinking in music. Country music is littered with drunken inspiration. Either a situation is driving someone to drink, or drink is setting up the situation. Kind of symbiotic.

Here are a few of my favorites, some of which I've served you before.

Porter Wagoner, who passed away earlier this week, put forth one of his best efforts in "Mysery Loves Company." It's an amusing clip in that it's a vintage video from Porter's old TV show, but you can see immediately that the video doesn't match the audio. What's funny, though, is that they sort of catch up to each other about 55 seconds in. Nevertheless, a classic country drinking song.




When we lived in Austin, one of the local bands I liked was the Asylum Street Spankers, a sort of jug band that sounded like they were time-transported from the 1930s. One of their best novelty songs is simply titled, "Beer." This link takes you to an audio clip of a live performance at The Cedar in Minneapolis.

Here are links to a couple of my earlier posts that included some of my favorite drinking songs. Todd Snider's "Beer Run" is an infectious tune that you'll curse me for introducing you to. And one of my all-time favorites is Webb Pierce's "There Stands the Glass." Brother Dave suggests The Wood Brothers' "Alcohol of Fame."

Now it's your turn to pick up the tab. Have a favorite drinking song? Share it with me and others in the comments field.

Enjoy (responsibly)!

4 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Nothing goes better than a nice drink and some music. It is such a civilized way to spend an evening - as long as like you said, you enjoy responsibly!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Chef JP said...

Believe it or not, I'm familiar with the great work of The Asylum Street Spankers & have a Christmas cd by those guys--great stuff! I also like beer...so your post today was a win-win deal for me!

sullicom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sullicom said...

Thanks Jen and JP. If any of you aren't familiar with The Foodie Blogroll, I hope you'll check out the new widget in the right rail.

As for the Spankers, they're worth a listen beyond the link to "Beer". Good old timey stuff and fun.

Cheers!