Thursday, November 08, 2007

Girl Scout Cookies

I'm not sure whose idea it was to have Girl Scout Cookies delivered this close to Halloween, but I'd like to have a chat with her or him.

Our dining room table has been littered with cookies for a couple of weeks now. MoJo, our own little Girl Scout, sold more than 120 boxes to our family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. She was cute, impressive and surprisingly aggressive when making her sales pitch. Now, all those boxes are in and awaiting delivery to her clients. And in the meantime, they sit on the table. Calling to me.

A few years ago I lost a lot of weight on the Atkins Diet, dropping 70 lbs. in about six months. The diet was relatively easy for me to follow. A breakfast of bacon and eggs was hardly a sacrifice. However, there were two things that were constantly tempting me - donuts and cookies. For the most part, I was very disciplined and was able to avoid slipping. But there have been times, especially when I'm tired, that I completely cave in. To me, Girl Scout Cookies are crack.

This year's cookies have been here for two weeks. Although I've done a pretty good job of avoiding them, I confess that I've had one or two. Or three. Maybe a few more. (Yes, Marcy, it was I who ate the Trefoils!)

The table sits loaded with boxes and boxes of Thin Mints, Trefoils, Samoas, Do-Si-Dos, Chocolate Chips, those Lemon things (sorry, can't remember the name and I know better than to walk into the dining room to check). They'll soon be out of the house. And good thing, too. Marcy starts baking Christmas cookies soon.

Here's a link to a Girl Scout site in Western Washington that has a number of recipes that either recreate the classic cookies or use the cookies as ingredients in other dishes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

peteej said...

Thin Mints are hands down the best GS cookie ever. You ever notice that they come in two sleeves? In my language, that's two servings. I mean really, how can you rip open the cellophane and only eat two or three Thin Mints? Put them in the fridge or freezer and then crack open a pack. Pure heaven.

Your Blogger said...

Two servings? Hmmm, makes me feel a little better.

Erika W. said...

Our GS cookies are always around in March. Well after I've had time to shed the required holiday gain.

Those Samoas...um, one serving there. (Hangs head in shame and slinks away.)

Your Blogger said...

Yeah, the Samoas are my current favorite. It's hard to resist the Trefoils though. And the Thin Mints - as Pete said, put 'em in the freezer. Coooooookies. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.