Sunday, November 11, 2007

Food for the Soul, Nov. 11, 2007

November is finally in full color here in Sullivanistan. As eye-poppingly pleasant as it is at the moment, that simply means we're a few days and a good rain storm away of having the leaves beaten from the trees and the long, dark days of winter moving in for the next few months.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with this month. November is filled with milestones and memories, some good and some not so good.

Last Saturday we celebrated the Remarkable Marcy's birthday. It was also the anniversary of our first date, which took place many moons ago in Columbus, Ohio at a Muddy Waters concert. And yes, I categorize those as good memories. Very good ones.

But this is also the month my dad died. It was a day before Thanksgiving when I was a very young kid. He was only 49 when he died, just a couple of months away from turning 50. It was last November when I became - to the day - as old as he was when he died. His early death and my own mortality had become something of an obsession with me as I approached 50. It was a tough day, much tougher than my actual 50th birthday. It came and went, accompanied by high anxiety and heavy introspection on my part. But, I'm on the other side of 50 now and living my own life.

November also means Ohio State-Michigan games. As of yesterday, the luster is off this year's matchup, but it's still huge for football fans and alums. I'll share more throughout the week on some of my memories and traditions from games past.

And, of course, November brings Thanksgiving. An opulent orgy of food that triggers the even more opulent orgy of gift giving and getting that comes in December. I'll always have the tragic memory of my dad's death attached to the holiday. But even more than that, I have years and years and years of wonderful memories of family, friends and food. And for that, I am thankful.

No comments: