Sunday, November 18, 2007

Side Dish Sunday - Creamy Brussels Sprouts

Sorry for the one-day delay in getting the side dish posting up. Saturday ended up completely given over to the Ohio State-Michigan game. Fortunately, Sunday lets me keep the alliteration intact.

Anyway, for those of you who didn't run away shrieking at the mention of Brussels sprouts, you're in for a treat. This is a dish we assimilated into our Thanksgiving feast in recent years, the Remarkable Marcy having plucked it from the pages of Better Homes and Gardens. After trying it almost as a favor to Marcy since she went to the effort to make it, I found myself going back for seconds and thirds, then scraping what was left of the sauce off the sides of the dish with my spoon. If you're not quite up to doing sprouts, you can substitute green beans.

Creamy Brussels Sprouts

Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. butter
2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, or green beans, trimmed
1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 1 1/2-quart oval gratin baking dish or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

In a 12-inch skillet cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in Brussels sprouts and thyme. Cook for 4 minutes or until onions begin to brown. Add broth. Bring to boiling. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until broth is nearly evaporated. Add whipping cream and nutmeg. Cook for 4 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Stir in half of the cheese, all of the salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Erika W. said...

Oh my, oh my... I was going to do a balsamic glaze for my brussels sprouts, but this sounds heavenly!

Do you think it would be good with baby carrots thrown in as well? I wanted to serve them together.

Sullicom said...

I'm not a huge cooked carrot fan, so I may not be the best judge for that. But I suspect it might sweeten the recipe a bit.

peteej said...

We may have different football allegiances, but we have a stronger bond: Brussels Sprouts. I need to make this.

Chef JP said...

This is a great recipe---very unique---great job!