Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday Fun - Lileks and Moore

I don't mean to sound like Scrooge, but the holidays rarely put me in a jolly mood. So, I set out this morning in search of a few good chuckles.

Always a sure bet to make me snicker is one of my favorite sites, lileks.com. I first introduced you to James Lilek's hilarious site back in August. He's recently redesigned the site and added a few more fun galleries.

Lileks has gathered lots of cultural relics from the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s, like advertisements, cookbooks and postcards. He also has a very funny blog and podcasts.

What I particularly enjoyed on this visit was the Coffee & Chrome gallery, a visual feast of postcards and ads for restaurants and diners - the types that most anyone from my generation remember from years past. It's a great, fun time trip.

The Stupidist Angel

Another quick fix for the holiday blues is Christopher Moore's book, "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror."

For anyone unfamiliar with Moore, he's been compared with Carl Hiaasen and Douglas Adams. His books are far-fetched and funny, and he's got a wise-ass attitude that gives them a delightful edge.

I first discovered Moore through his book, "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal." This thoughtful fiction about Jesus' missing years is funny, insightful, playfully irreverent, but overall is respectful of the Christ story.

"Stupidest Angel" is a delightful, quick read about the chaos that ensues in a Pacific Coast village during the Christmas season. It involves angels, zombies, a former action-film actress, a hyperactive dog and more. Many of the characters are familiar from other Moore novels.

It's been a long time since a book has made me laugh out loud, but this one did more than once.

No comments: