Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Gonna Be One of Those Days

Here's how my day started.

I was on my way to work and had just pulled onto the ramp to enter the beltway when I heard a loud "THWOP" and felt something hit the side of the car.

My first reaction - okay second reaction after shouting aloud a couple of expletives - was to look in the mirror to see if I'd hit a deer, dog, person, bike, tree or some other seemingly invisible item.

Then I saw the feathers.

A flurry of little gray tufts of feathers started wafting forward from the back seat. Apparently a bird had flown in through my sun roof and met its end against the passenger-side door in the back.

I was too icked out to look over my shoulder to see the results, and drove the rest of the 20 minutes to work, fanning the occasional remnant feather away from my face and knowing that I would have to remove the bird when I pulled into the parking lot.

After arriving at work, I found a plastic grocery bag in my trunk. I opened the back door of the car and there was the bird. It was small, gray and fortunately, mostly intact. I shrouded it with the bag and deposited it in a nearby bird mausoleum (aka trash can).

Let me offer this small tribute to the late bird:
Birdie, birdie in the sky
Wait until my car goes by,
'Cuz if you fly in through my roof,
You'll hit the door and then go poof.

1 comment:

BBQB said...

That's kind of a funny story actually...maybe not for the bird though.
I noticed you haven't been posting for a while...how about some posts about hot sauce again...I'm in the mood for some spice!