Monday, August 11, 2008

Tube Steaks


Looking to flaunt my grillmanship this weekend, I stopped by the butcher and picked up a pound of his finest, all-beef tube steaks.

While the beefy links were still fresh, I prepared the Weber for direct grilling. Once the coals were white hot, I carefully placed the links perpendicular to the grate, to give them a lovely striping of grill marks.

These doggies cook quickly, so I hovered over the fire with tongs at the ready. Since these things are round, there's really no "side" to cook them on. I allowed them to rest for roughly 45 seconds before giving each tube a nudge with the tongs to expose another section to the flames.

Within 2-3 minutes, the meat was perfectly browned and the skin was bursting open. I carefully removed them from the grill and placed each in a soft, elongated roll that was split down the middle. They were then dressed with a line of mustard and a sprinkling of dill relish. They were complemented by a side salad of baby spring greens with a balsamic reduction and a perfectly chilled glass of Chardonnay.

Delicioso!

No comments: