Friday, November 25, 2011

Fables for Fearful Times: The Very Hungry Fish and Fisherman

Things were bad all over. One day a fish was in search of food. All he could find was a worm that was attached to a fisherman's hook.

"If I try to eat the worm I might swallow the hook, too," said the fish. "But I'm very hungry and it's a risk I have to take."

So the fish went for the worm and indeed took the hook. When the fisherman pulled him out of the water, the fish said, "Please don't eat me."

The fisherman said, "I'm a hungry man and you're a big fish. If I keep you I'll eat well."

The fish said, "But if you let me go, I'll grant you three wishes. You can use one wish to get all the food you'll ever need."

"How do I know you're really a magic fish," said the fisherman. "How do I know you won't just swim away?"

"That is a risk you'll have to take," said the fish.

The fisherman thought about it for a minute. Then he removed the hook and tossed the fish back into the water. The fish swam away, never to be seen again.

MORAL: Appreciate what you've got in front of you instead of bargaining for empty wishes. You might just end up throwing away a talking fish.

No comments: