Saturday, December 24, 2011

Granny Franny's Cole Slaw

It's been nearly 40 years since my mom, Frances, passed away. One of the great pains in my and my brother's lives is that our kids never had a chance to meet her. But they know her. She left us with many great stories that we've shared with the kids, who in our house call her "Granny Franny."

One of the tangible ways I've been able to share my memories of her and my dad, Courtlan (who also died much too young) with my kids is through some of the recipes I've posted on this blog.

A few weeks ago I got a message on Facebook from Cathy Toney, a Madisonville friend who very nearly became my step-sister (a story for another time). Cathy mentioned that she had made cole slaw from my mom's recipe. I had vague memories of that dish (cole slaw wasn't a big favorite of mine when I was young), and certainly didn't have the recipe anywhere in my files. Cathy provided the recipe and I decided I would make it as a side dish for this year's Christmas dinner (yes, cole slaw is a perfectly suitable side for our traditionally unorthodox Christmas-day meal).

Granny Franny's Cole Slaw

Dressing:
7/8 cup of sugar
1 cup vinegar
2/3 cup salad oil

1 head cabbage, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
sprinkle liberally with dried mustard
sprinkle with celery seed

Mix everything together and let chill.

When I first read the recipe I was a little amazed at the amount of sugar. But then, thinking about what we ate growing up in Kentucky during those years, yeah, it made sense. As Brother Dave said, we're still wearing a lot of that sugar around our guts.

When I sampled the slaw, it indeed provided a flashback to the early '70s. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's feast when it will be one more way to share Granny Franny with my wife and kids.

No comments: